You may not celebrate it, but all know the meaning. Black Friday- pushy crowds, useless staff and house wives at their worst bickering over the last size small at Old Navy. Some folks set their alarm to get the best in stock, while others stay as far as possible. Personally, I embrace the quasi holiday. Sales? Bring em on!
However, when I'm loading up the car, it's not from the local mall...it's Wegmans. Or any grocery store for that matter. If you're a foodie, you'll understand why. Everyone in town is scrounging together their Thanksgiving feast; whether it's grabbing the last box of stuffing, or realizing you've missed out on the last frozen pie crust. But trust me when I say, these sales are worth stocking up. Pie crusts are going at a buck each, chicken stock is practically thrown at you, and berries are at a surprisingly all time low considering the weather. Obviously you may not be cooking a turkey themed banquet frequently through out the year, but these ingredients are gold.
A frozen pie crust and a bag of berries in the freezer makes for a quick, easy pie when you need to scrape something together; and chicken stock is a great start to any soup. It's cold out and you don't feel like cooking? Grab the crock pot, throw in a few veggies and you've got yourself some prime deliciousness by the time you're back from class. Another goodie, the canned soup. I think I saw mushroom soup reach 3/1.00 for the common green bean casserole. Grab these babies! Make some creamy pasta sauce when you're short on time and toss in some chicken, yum.
Foods that drop during this weekend:
Potatoes!! 1.50 for 5 pounds? You can't beat that!
Canned pumpkin- You may not use it often, but when you need it, you'll be glad it was this cheap
Cream Cheese
Flour (99 cents!)
Frozen Veggies
Chocolate Chips- I hate splurging 4 bucks for 1 batch of cookies, get these while you can
Black Friday isn't only for clothing and electronics, fill your cabinets! I know you college kids don't have the cash to be shopping every time you need something other than a tv dinner. It's easy, it's cheap. Do it.

I hope some of those pie ingredients come home with you!!! :P
ReplyDelete